Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day 1

Ah spring break. About time to catch up on half finished work, overlooked ideas and....to start a blog. Why not?
So, I suppose a little introduction might be in order, for anyone who sees this that doesn't know me. My name is Melanie, I am currently a senior at SUNY New Paltz, set to graduate in Fall 2009 with a BFA in Metals. I have a love/hate relationship with metal as a medium, and a life long love of jewelry and everything related to it. Although this blog will showcase a wide variety of mediums and works, I am most interested in exploring non traditional materials, and materials that are often overlooked and not generally considered to be of value. The ability of the title of jewelry to elevate the status of these materials fascinates me, and I feel opens the door for substances other than gold, silver and precious stones to be showcased on the body as a means of adornment. So for the moment I'm going to just post some in progress works, and from this point forward I'm going to do my best to keep everyone updated on my process as it happens. Comments, questions and suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

On a whim a few weeks ago I ordered 2,000ish o-rings, these tiny little things have been made into chains, clusters and all sorts of things, until I decided to bust out my trusty Krazyglue and get to work on this :
For the past few months I have been exploring ways of incorporating science and cell biology, one of my other loves, into my work. I am very interested in this piece as it continues to grow, how the smaller o-rings are forced into position by those around them, and the clusters that they form.

Also in light of the suffocating feeling I have had in the past few years concerning my work, academics and the state of the world around me, I have started working in a very different direction. Using sewing thread and a crochet hook, I have been attempting to create a piece of work that slightly resembles fishermans netting. This will be the first piece I have ever worked on that will encompass the head/face region of the body, and I am hoping to achieve a sense of being trapped. I will post more photos when I have progressed further.

No comments:

Post a Comment